Monday, November 20, 2006

September 2006 - Press Interview, MELBOURNE

"Dream Life Not A Bit Twee"

Ben Mitchell knows it sounds twee -
but he really is living the dream.

The ex-Ringwood resident will tour Europe this month to promote his new CD, The Stars Can See, before representing Australia at the Popkomm Festival in Berlin this month.

The singer and songwriter has come a long way from his early bands like 401 Raiders, named after a portable at Ringwood Secondary College.

His first step came as a 24 year-old when he bought a one-way ticket to England to prove what he was made of and stayed there for six years.

"I started writing songs when I was 16 years old and I just knew I wanted music to be my life," Mitchell said.

"In Camden I washed dishes and slept on floors, but you slowly get known. It all grew from there."

Mitchell opened his own acoustic music night in London, helping him attract Coldplay's engineer, Jon Bailey, and Robbie Williams' keyboard player, Claire Worrall, to play on his new album.

Getting a record label is the next stage, so I can distribute my music across Europe and America and get myself known," he said.

"Australian musicians are quite aspirant. We're removed from class struggles (a bit) here, so we believe we can do anything."

Mitchell will play shows in Melbourne this month.

For more information go to http://www.ben-mitchell.com/. The Stars Can See is available at JB Hi-Fi in Eastland.
Maroondah Leader

No comments: